Dreamy Coconut Wedding Cake
The seven-tier coconut cake, frosted with buttercream, candied coconut, and two different types of coconut flakes, will take your guests' breath away. The cake's height and champagne-colored satin ribbon give it a stately appearance, while the scattered coconut provides a lighter feel, combining both formal and casual elements. With fewer tiers, the same cake would be appropriate for a less formal affair.
- Servings: 360
Photography: Gentl & Hyers
Source: Martha Stewart Weddings, Spring 2004
- 2 each 6-, 8-, 10-, 12-, 14-, 16-, and 18-inch round layers of Coconut Cake
- 7 rounds corresponding-size 3/16-inch-thick foam board
- 4 recipes Coconut Swiss Meringue Buttercream, with coconut
- 4 recipes Coconut Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- 54 wooden dowels (1/4 inch in diameter, 4 1/8 inches long)
- 1 pound crystallized coconut
- 1 pound unsweetened coconut chips
- 1 rubber cake mat (8 inches, optional)
- 1 round wooden cake platform (20 inches in diameter)
- Coconut Creme Anglaise, for serving
Prepare tiers (each tier consists of two layers): Trim and split layers; on corresponding-size boards, fill with coconut buttercream to a 4-inch height. Thinly coat tiers with plain Swiss meringue buttercream to seal in crumbs. Chill until set, about 30 minutes. Frost tiers with more Swiss meringue buttercream.
Reinforce tiers: Insert 16 dowels vertically into the 18-inch tier, making a circle with 12 dowels about 2 inches from edge, and placing 4 in a square in the center. Insert 10 dowels each into both the 16- and 14-inch tiers, placing 1 in the center and 9 in a circle 2 inches from the edge. In same manner, insert 8 dowels into the 12-inch tier, and 6 into the 10-inch tier. Insert 4 dowels into the 8-inch tier in a square about 3 inches from the edge.
Press crystallized coconut, coconut chips, and shredded coconut onto the tiers to completely cover the buttercream.
When ready to assemble, place cake mat or several drops of hot glue on the cake platform; center the 18-inch tier on top. Carefully center and stack remaining tiers in descending order.
To serve, spoon 2 or 3 tablespoons of coconut creme anglaise onto each plate; top with a slice of cake.