Beet-and-Goat-Cheese Salad Hors d'Oeuvres
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 4 medium beets, peeled, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 6 ounces goat cheese
- 1 cup micro greens (sidwainer.com)
Combine vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Gradually whisk in olive oil until dressing is emulsified.
Fill a cast-iron pot halfway with oil, and heat to 350 degrees. Add beet slices that are at least 2 inches in diameter (reserve remaining slices for another use). Cook for 90 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon salt. Chips can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Place 1/2 teaspoon goat cheese on each beet chip. Top each with about 5 greens. Drizzle with dressing.
SourceMartha Stewart Weddings, Spring 2008