Source: Martha Stewart Weddings, Winter 2009
- 3 each 8-, 10-, 12-, and 14-inch round layers Peach Cake, final tiers will be 4 inches high
- 1 each 8-, 10-, 12-, and 14-inch round foam boards
- Peach Jam
- Custard Buttercream
- Royal Icing
- 11 1/2 pounds fondant, for covering
- Gel food coloring, in peach
- 26 wooden dowels, 1/4 inch in diameter, 4 1/8 inches long
- 1 round cake board (16 inches)
- Buttercream amounts for each tier: 14-inch: 10 cups total (3 cups per layer, plus 4 cups for crumb coat); 12-inch: 6 1/2 cups total (2 cups per layer, plus 2 1/2 cups for crumb coat); 10-inch: 5 cups total (1 1/2 cups per layer, plus 2 cu
- Jam amounts for each tier: 14-inch: 2 cups (1 cup per layer); 12-inch: 1 1/2 cups total (3/4 cups per layer); 10-inch: 1 cup total (1/2 cup per layer); 8-inch: 1/2 cup total (1/4 cup per layer)
- Fondant amounts for each tier: 8-inch: 2 pounds; 10-inch: 2 1/2 pounds; 12-inch: 3 pounds; 14-inch: 4 pounds
Assemble tiers: Trim 14-inch cake layers to be a level 1 inch high. Set 1 layer on same-size foam board. Spread buttercream on cake layer. Using an offset spatula, spread jam over buttercream (see jam and buttercream amounts, under ingredients), then top with a cake layer. Repeat with remaining 14-inch layers, spreading buttercream and jam on second and third layers, stacking them, and finishing with cake. Spread a thin layer of buttercream over top and sides, and refrigerate until firm, 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Repeat to make other tiers, placing bottom layer of each on corresponding-size foam board.
Cover tiers (see fondant amounts, under ingredients): Knead food coloring into fondant for each tier, adding tiny amounts at a time until desired color is reached. Roll out fondant to 1/8-inch thickness. Drape fondant over a rolling pin; center and place it on the tier. Starting at the top, smooth fondant onto cake with your hands. Cut away excess with a pastry wheel. Store tiers at cool room temperature up to 24 hours.
Stack tiers: Insert 1 dowel in high spot on 14-inch tier. Grasp with dowel cutter just at top of cake, and pull out. Cut dowel, and use it to trim 11 more dowels to the same height. Insert dowels into the tier, arranging 8 in a circle about 2 inches from edge, and 4 in a square near the center. Repeat, inserting 8 dowels in the 12-inch tier and 6 in the 10-inch. Stack tiers largest to smallest on cake board.
To attach ribbon, pipe 2 thin lines of stiff royal icing around each tier where the ribbon will go. Attach the ribbon, using icing as glue (insert long pearl-head pins through ribbon and into tier to hold in place; remove once icing has set). Pipe dots of royal icing at the bottoms of each tier.